Lincoln County Schools Logo
Lincoln County
School District #1

Frequently Asked Questions

When it comes to raising children, questions come with the territory! We’ve put together the answers to the questions we hear the most so you can get the information you need 24-7. More information is also available in the student handbooks found on individual school pages. If you still have questions, please give us a call. We’re always happy to help.

What is the dress code for Lincoln County School District #1 schools?

We expect our students to dress in a way that shows respect for themselves, for others, and for their school. Students may not wear any clothing that distracts from the learning experience. We reserve the right to determine whether a student’s clothing is appropriate for school. We expect students to adhere to the following rules:

  • Except when appropriate for the instructional activity, students must place headgear in a locker or backpack during the school day.
  • Students will wear shoes at all times. This is a safety issue—no bare feet!
  • We do not allow students to wear clothing with printing or graphics of a violent or sexual nature or containing profanity.
  • We prohibit clothing with messages counter to our drug/alcohol free schools.
  • Students may not wear clothing showing bare midriffs, and shorts/skirts should be at least four (4) inches above the top of the kneecap.
  • We do not allow clothing that is detrimental or disruptive to the learning environment.
  • We do not allow immodest clothing. Some examples of immodest clothing are spaghetti straps, low riding pants, and blouses or tank tops cut low enough as to show cleavage.
  • We do not permit students to wear shirts with armholes cut lower than 3 inches below the armpit.
  • If a student’s clothing is deemed inappropriate by school staff, we may ask the student to change.
  • Students will not wear trench coats to school.
  • Activities may require specific clothing guidelines. Uniforms and practice clothing should be appropriate for the activity. Students must have gym shoes for PE that are not worn for normal or outside wear. Students may not wear cleats or turf shoes in the gym.
  • School staff may confiscate inappropriate articles.
Back to Top

Does your school offer breakfast and lunch?

We operate an excellent nutrition program at each campus. Our cafeterias serve breakfast and lunch every school day for a reasonable price. We also participate in the federal free and reduced price lunch program for those who qualify. For more information or to apply for free/reduced meals, please see our district Food Services page.

Back to Top

What will happen if my child becomes ill while at school?

If a student becomes ill, we will attempt to notify a parent or guardian promptly, and we will care for the student in our nurse’s station until a parent or guardian arrives. Students may not leave school grounds without either a parent or another approved adult (as listed on the student’s information form). If the situation is a medical emergency, we will follow standard emergency procedures.

Back to Top

What if my child requires medication during the school day?

School personnel may not dispense any medications without a signed request by the student’s parent/guardian. We will administer medication in accordance with state regulations and with physician and parental approval. Please complete our medication authorization form and bring medications in the original, labeled packaging to the front office.

Students may carry their own inhalers or insulin if the medical authorization form, signed by the parent or guardian, is on file in school office.

Back to Top

Do you provide transportation services?

We are pleased to provide our students with safe, reliable transportation to and from school each day. We consider bus riding a privilege and expect all students to adhere to the rules for their own safety as well as for the safety of others. For information about bus policies, schedules, and routes, please visit our Transportation page.

Back to Top

What if my child needs to ride a different bus than he/she normally takes?

Students not riding their normal bus will need to obtain a “Bus Pass” from the office before the bus driver will allow them on the bus.

Back to Top

What do I need to do if my child will be absent from school?

If your child must miss school, parents must call the school office (877.6991, press 2) on the day of his/her absence or send a signed, dated note stating the reason for the absence upon the student’s return to school. In the case of pre-approved absences, parents/guardians must complete the paperwork to be filed in the student’s file at least two full school days in advance of the absence.

Students must secure an admit slip at the attendance office before returning to class.

It is the student’s responsibility to arrange for makeup work with the teacher(s).

Back to Top

What if my child needs to leave school early?

Students must have parent/guardian permission for early dismissal, doctor’s appointments, non-custodial releases, or similar situations, and must check out through the attendance office to leave school. Students who are 18 years old and consenting adults must receive permission from the principal to leave the building during school hours.

Back to Top

Is there student parking available on campus?

KJSHS students may park in the south parking lot adjacent to the high school. The pool parking lot is reserved for community visitors to the pool and for staff. Students may not park in this parking lot during the school day or when gone for weekday or weekend activities. Parking restrictions apply to before-school practices. The activity director may grant exceptions to parking in the pool parking lot for safety purposes. Improperly parked vehicles may be towed and/or ticketed. All school rules apply to all school grounds, including parking areas.

NFHS students may park on Elk Street. There are five spaces west of the school that students may drive into and back out of to park. We ask that students do not park on the south side of Elk Street on days that it snows two or more inches or when there is an accumulation of ice or snow on the roadway.

Back to Top